Rory Gardiner's Webpage

18, Aug, 2009

Tuesday 18th August 2009


There seems to be as much going on behind the scenes in our lives as there is with Rory's treatment.  Sam received a gold certificate at assembly at Dargaville Primary yesterday.  This was in recognition for receiving three certificates at assembly this year.  I was sad I wasn't there to see him receive it but Whaea Danielle made sure a photo was taken.  We are so proud of him.  The last five months have been very hard on Sam and he has soldiered on with very little complaint.  At nine years old he has had to cope with the absence of members of his immediate family, being cared for by other people, the loss of his extra-curricular activities, and the suffering of his brother which I know he feels inside.  I know I wouldn't have coped half as well when I was nine.  We are fortunate to have good people around us who we trust and who care for Sam when we are unable to. 

I took the remainder of the organic vegetables to work yesterday and my good friend Dianne's husband Ricardo is turning them into fabulous soup for us.  Rory, our number one chef, is impressed by Ricardo in the kitchen.  After all how many men can make pasta!  Dianne as usual continues to provide me with technical advice and assistance, yesterday it was sourcing a massager for Rory's rehabilitation programme, and Fathers Day and achievement presents for Sean and Sam.  She is also selling Kia Kaha Rory wrist bands to anyone with change in their pockets.

Rory is still in Starship and thankfully continues to improve.  His white blood count was 3.77 today.  He is starting to have leg pain which the doctor warned us was likely because the stem cells in his bone marrow swing into action.  He is receiving pamol and tramadol for the pain.  His neutrophils (a component of his white blood cells) are at 1.36 and they are the ones which have to reach 2 before the daily GCSF injections can stop.  The repeat blood cultures came back negative which indicates the antibiotics have managed to combat the infection, and his weight has increased to 23.1kg.  Today was the first day he was disconnected from the lines for a couple of hours.  An orderly wheeled him across to Auckland Hospital in his bed for a repeat kidney function test.  The boys both enjoy bed riding in the hospital but I have yet to try it.  The orderlies always frown when I suggest I might enjoy a ride.  Rory has been spending some time today drawing and playing board games, and was delighted to receive a parcel from the Millers (Andrew, Denise, Brad, Lewis and Cole) after lunch.  I am looking forward to seeing him tomorrow.  Two full days away is plenty for me.  Sean has been doing a great job holding down the fort but I know he is tired, and he struggles with being confined to four walls having grown up as someone like Mowgli. 

I was supposed to be working from home today but it was a struggle.  After caring for Rory around the clock for the last 8 days, then working half a day yesterday and racing around Whangarei doing jobs, the last thing I wanted to do today was work.  All I wanted to do was whatever I felt like but I feel so guilty.  I know financially I have to work, and the report I am working on is overdue, but I am tiring and time seems too precious to waste forcing myself to do something I don't want to do while I am away from the hospital.  On the spur of the moment I picked up Sam from school with the mountain bikes on the back of the car and we headed up to Kai Iwi lakes.  Lake Taharoa was the fullest I have seen it and many parts of the circuit were underwater.  Both Sam and I failed to make it round without sopping socks and shoes.  I must to confess to alternately laughing, swearing, and screaming.  There really is something special about the lakes.  It is a very therapeutic place, calming in some spiritual way.  Nana and Poppa Honnor called tonight from Hawaii to check on Rory's progress.