Rory Gardiner's Webpage

23, Sep, 2009

Wednesday 23rd September 2009


I am at a bit of a loss for words today.  It is really hard to convey just how much the Kaipara community has done for us, how much we are moved by it, and how thankful we are.  Words always fall short.  We are incredibly grateful we were here during Rory's fight.  It has been an incredible morning.  Sam managed to catch the bus to school (unlike yesterday) and Sean, Rory and I headed there for morning tea.  The children of Room 3 were singing when we arrived, and you could feel their excitement.  The children enjoyed a shared morning tea, and presented Rory with a photo board, a signed Northland Taniwha rugby ball, and a beautiful origami creation covered in smaller origami creations and messages of love and support.  Whaea Danielle came in with her guitar and the children sang Ripiro beach.  It brought tears to my eyes.  It was hard emptying Rory's desk.  I got a photo of Room 3 with Rory outside under a tree.  It was also Rory's friend Hugo's last day so it was neat to be able to combine the celebration.  When I popped my head into Sam's class the seniors were a lot more relaxed, scoffing their morning tea while they lounged on the floor.  Sean collected the remaining Kia Kaha Rory wrist bands to take with us on our journey, and a cheque from the school for the money they had raised.  We stayed on for kapa haka, and I am always impressed by the pride and power within the boys.  It was the last chance Sean, Rory and I had to say goodbye to Whaea Danielle.  We will miss her.  We have returned home to a quieter house (and more packing) as Sam is staying the night with the Newman-Horne's.  Their son, and Sam's friend, Matai represented Dargaville Primary at the Northland cross country championships today.  We are all very proud of him. 

Yesterday (Tuesday) Sam missed the bus to school as there is so much going on at home, so he had to catch a ride to school with Sean and was not thrilled about being late.  Sean headed across to Whangarei with a load of gear and a list of jobs as long as his arm so he was not thrilled!  I took Rory to Dargaville Hospital to get the polyskin dressing on his Hickman line changed , as well as the plugs on the end, and the Heparin which locks them (stops the blood from clotting).  Nurses Karen and Tracey did a very thorough job.  We called in to Blah Blah Blah cafe as Mark had stashed some more boxes for us (thanks Mark), and Trudi's as she is organising a Tupperware raffle for Rory of some neat bits and pieces (thanks Trudi).  It was back to the packing in the afternoon.  Rory is still coughing and has quite a runny nose.  I have spoken to Starship.  They have told me to watch for a temperature, and we will discuss the results of his blood test on Friday as to how to proceed.  He is due to start his third cycle of chemo on Sunday.

I have been meaning to share Carson's story with you.  Carson was diagnosed with high risk medulloblastoma (same as Rory) in 2006 when he was 14.  He endured surgery, radiation and chemo, but relapsed in January this year.  He had more chemotherapy, but in June three more tumours were discovered in his brain.  He is now part of a research trial in his fight against cancer.  He is writing a book about his journey (he is now 17).  This is a short clip of Carson on Youtube.  Please take the time to watch it.  It is an opportunity for all the children with medulloblastoma to be heard.    You can either hold the control button down and click, or copy the address into your browser.