Rory Gardiner's Webpage

22, Feb, 2010

Monday 22nd February 2010


I was happy to see Sam get off the bus on Friday afternoon.  I was all smiles, and rushed in to give him a hug.  He was embarrassed and grumpily shrugged me off.  I was hurt and a little angry so we had words in the car on the way home.  I reminded him I am going to be his mother regardless of his age.  I will love him, and care for him and express these feelings.  I am going to continue to be in his life, at school, at home, at camp, at sports, as I always have been.  I am proud of him, and want the best for him.  The same goes for his father, and his brother.  We are a family.  I told him I know he is growing up and wants a little space, to do new things, and make his own decisions, but as a family we will always be held together by love. 

Rory completed his therapy on Friday morning although he was unhappy about it as the heat made the mat slippery and he was frustrated.  At 9.30am we went to the Child Health Clinic at Whangarei Hospital to see Dr Ollie, and I had a list of issues to discuss with him.  Rory has been placed on a waiting list for physiotherapy, in spite beginning at programme at Taranaki Base Hospital and being referred by their team shortly after returning north.  I am appalled Rory has been left 'in limbo' without support.  He needs physiotherapy to improve physically and any delay hinders his progress.  There is also a long waiting list to see a Speech and Language Therapist so Rory can re-learn how to eat and breathe correctly.  Bringing up excessive wind after eating, drinking exercising and reading out loud is not considered a priority for action.  I have to provide additional supporting information for Dr Ollie to make a request.  Dr Ollie gave us instructions as to what to do if Rory comes into direct contact with a child with chicken pox, and we discussed immunising Rory with the new (not yet available) seasonal flu vaccine which also protects against swine flu.  Rory will need minor surgery at Whangarei Hospital for a personal problem in the next couple of months.  It was morning tea time when we reached Dargaville Primary.  The children were designing a home for Duckoose as part of their reading activity.  For maths Rory and Kody were constructing objects "I'm building a coke can", Rory informed me.  After lunch the children were designing shields for their Inquiry project 'Quest'.  Rory's shield has a star wars/light saber theme.  After the bell rang we waited for Sam to arrive back from camp on the bus. 

On Saturday Sam and I headed out for a ride/run over our usual 10km.  Sean headed out for a long run as training for the Cape Brett Challenge.  When I got home I packed some gear and the boys and I drove out to Helena Bay to pick him up.  It was a hot sunny morning so we drove along the coast to Ngahau for a swim.  We had the beach to ourselves and it was wonderful to see Rory in the waves unencumbered by a wetsuit.  After our swim we ate morning tea on the beach then walked to the end of the bay beach combing.  The sea had thrown up a lot of seaweed and we collected shells, a crayfish carapace, and some bones.  In addition we counted six starfish and I collected seven ruined snorkels for the rubbish bin.  I kicked a rock with the last two toes on my right foot (by accident) and I think my little toe is fractured or dislocated.  It is fat and sitting at a funny angle, plus it hurts.  I feel ridiculous moaning about such a little thing after what Rory has been through but it is tender!  In the heat of the afternoon we hung out at Whakapara, completing Rory's therapy, using the playstation, making pikelets, building with the lego, and I worked on Rory's health care plan.

Yesterday (Sunday) Sean and I took the boys goat hunting for the day.  It was the first time the four of us had been out together since July last year, and it didn't pan out very well.  It was a very hot cloudless day.  The goats had taken refuge in the shade in the bottom of the gullys where it was difficult for Rory to get to.  He tired quickly moving over uneven ground in the heat.  Both he and Sam were bothered by the copious amounts of hook grass pulling the hairs on their legs, and the barley seeds caught in their shoes and socks pricking their skin.  Although we covered a lot of the forest, largely by 4wd, we did not encounter any goats.  We all got home hot, tired and ratty.  We are going to have to better plan our hunting trips.  We do not want to stop taking Rory as it is one of his favourite activities.