Rory Gardiner's Webpage

27, May, 2010

Thursday 27th May 2010

We’ve made it home to Taranaki, and managed to get Rory out of hospital.  For a while there I doubted we were going to achieve either.  I felt so tired and low I didn’t know how much longer I could hold on. 

On Sunday afternoon Grannie Gardiner looked after Rory in the hospital while Sean and I packed at Whakapara.  I collected her before tea and dropped Sean off to spend the night with Rory.  Sam and I were up early on Monday tidying up at Whakapara and making the final preparations for our trip.  We arrived at Whangarei Hospital at 8.30am in time for rounds with the Doctors.  It was the first morning I noticed a definite improvement in the shingles rash which by then had spread to the back of Rory’s scalp, down beside his ear, and under his eye to his nose.  After Rory received the final doses of his iv medication (anti-viral and antibiotic), had received a bath, and the Nurse had collated his records for us to take, we were on the road (10.30am).  Sean and I took turns to drive south.  The boys travelled well, playing their Nintendo’s, drawing, reading and looking out the window.  We had a quick stop at Nana and Poppa Honnor’s in New Plymouth to offload gear and Sam, then Sean and I took Rory to Taranaki Base Hospital.  Their children’s ward is refurbished, bright, clean and tidy, in contrast to Whangarei Hospital.  The staff took care of Rory and he was settled and receiving iv medication by 7.30pm.  Sean stayed the night with him. 

On Tuesday morning Sam and I walked to the Hospital to relieve Sean.  The shingles again showed a marked improvement.  The Doctors were keen to continue with his medication for the day.  An Opthalmologist checked Rory’s right eye and was satisfied the lesions were healing.  A Urologist checked his circumcision, which they were worried wasn’t healing well enough.  He told us to continue with the ointment and that healing would take a while.  Nana arrived at 10.30am to look after Rory while Poppa, Sean, Sam and I drove out to Inglewood to look at the house we had made an offer on.  It is in Inglewood town ship, down a right of way at the end of a cul-de-sac.  It is a single level 1980s Keith Hay home with a flat 935m2 section.  It is in good condition, and doesn’t require any work.  It is completely different to what we are used to; rural, isolated, with wide open spaces, and an old character timber home, so considering it as our home is a shock to the system.  Sean and I have discussed, in depth, what we need for the next few years.  We need a location and a home which makes our lives easier.  We all need to rest, heal and establish a solid base on which we can build.  We need to establish a new normal.  This home is a sound sensible practical purchase, and will enable us to do this.  Poppa, who is a builder, assures us it is a sound home, and the best of the dozen properties he and Nana looked at (which we had whittled down to a short list from 30).  Sean, Sam and I headed back to the hospital and kept Rory company for the afternoon.  Uncle Jason, who is one of the Paediatric Nurses, was in and out giving Rory cheek.  Rory was finally discharged at 5.30pm with the iv line removed from his arm.  The places on his arm and hand which held iv lines over the past week are red and raised in an allergic reaction.  Rory was sent home with two types of oral medication, both of which taste terrible and are difficult for him to take.  It makes me wonder how the drug companies expect children to consume their medication, and why they give little consideration to their palatability.  It was wonderful to have the four of us under the same roof again, the first time in a week. 

On Wednesday morning the boys and I got Sean to the airport for the flight back to Whangarei.  He has a week of work remaining, and is wrapping up some of our affairs.  The boys have spent the past two days alternatively playing and taking it easy.  We are making our first visit to Inglewood Primary tomorrow.  I have been plowing through the work required to buy a house, getting the final details of the move sorted, settling us into Nana and Poppas, helping out with the cooking, and trying to get some rest.  Nana has taken the week off from her schedule to assist and keep us company.