Rory Gardiner's Webpage

26, Jul, 2010

Monday 25th July 2010

The pre-MRI jitters have set in ahead of Rory and I’s 3-monthly trip to Auckland tomorrow.  It’s hard to hold them back.  You take a deep breath and tell yourself there is going to be nothing to see, but at the back of your mind is the nagging doubt.  So you draw deep within yourself and tell yourself no matter what the result you will cope, you will fight.  Rory and I fly to Auckland early tomorrow and are back late Wednesday.  Our first stop is Greenlane Hospital for growth hormone testing.  Rory has taken hormone tablets for the last two days in preparation.  We have to fit in eight appointments over the next two days so it isn’t going to be easy going.  On the surface Rory seems accepting about it, but I know tomorrow he will be afraid and likely miserable. 

Rory is settling into his class, and their routine.  He has accepted his new Teacher Aides (TAs), Mrs Bracey and Mrs Frost.  I think he is feeling more secure about me fading into the back ground.  The TAs are experienced enough to know when he needs support, and when to leave him to work independently.  I am trying to get him to speak up when something is wrong, or he needs something, as he often won’t say.  Last week we had a meeting with the Ministry of Education about Rory’s progress, and needs for the next two months.  They wondered whether he needed the ‘additional’ two hours TA support per week, or whether they could be removed (leave him with a base line of 18 hours/week).  I reassured them he most definitely did need them.  I have drafted an Individual Education Plan (IEP) for Rory and all those involved in his teaching and learning will have input.  It sets goals for Rory for the remainder of the year, and how we are going to help Rory reach them. 

This week we received the amnio results.  The baby is clear of the majority genetic abnormalities, which was great news.  We also found out the sex but are keeping it under our hats for the moment while it beds dwon.  Sam has started soccer practice.  The Inglewood Soccer Club had enough 11th grade players to create an extra team for the remainder of the season.  Sam is happy to be playing again.  I finished unpacking.  Nana and Poppa Honnor came over for lunch to see our finished ‘home’.  It was good to see them before they go on holiday for a couple of weeks.  We have ear marked Sundays for exploration of Taranaki.  Last Sunday we walked the York Loop Track on Mt Taranaki.  It follows part of the old Egmont Branch Railway Line, constructed in 1901 to provide metal and rocks from mountain quarries for roads and the Port in Taranaki until the late 1920s.  The operation is tucked into the bush at the base of the mountain.  We saw; the old barrack sites where the workers lived, where the rock was crushed, the sand trap (giant bath in the bush), the river quarry which contained old railway lines, and old pipes and culverts.  At the top of the loop you cross a footbridge to the Foot Station and the railway yard clearing where we had a picnic lunch.  The railway and the trench which carried water diverted from the river to power the crusher were all dug by hand.  It must have been a mammoth task.  We all enjoyed being in the bush.  It was damp, green, mossy and cool, dappled with light.  We saw a whitehead for the first time on the mountain.  Rory managed to walk 75% of the way up, and about the same distance back.  When he was tired he rode on Sean’s shoulders.