Rory Gardiner's Webpage

11, May, 2009

11th May 2009


The past three days have gone by in a bit of a blur.  It was wonderful to finally get Rory home, hug Sam, see dad, and sleep in our own beds.  It was 7 weeks and 3 days since Rory had left.  It was a very wet weekend at Waihue so we didn't venture far, into town to run some errands, and up to the lakes (Kai Iwi) for a walk.  We didn't get far before we were rained out.  Even though it was only 9 degrees Sam took a dip in Lake Taharoa (he's definitely the toughest one amongst us).  We had an enjoyable family lunch with Grannie and Grandad Gardiner on Mothers Day.  Rory spent the weekend doing what most boys love to do; build with the lego, watch a dvd while munching on popcorn, have a shoot out with his brother with the Nerf guns, and make pancakes for breakfast.  It was an effort for all of us to resume again this morning.  The three days were a gift, but it felt like we only managed to grab a short breath before diving under again.  Over the next seven weeks I know we will adjust to the routine.  Rory and I visited Dargaville Primary School this morning to say hello and thank everyone for their efforts last week.  Rory was anxious and reluctant at first, but then all smiles.  The avalanche started when we entered the gate.  By the time we got to Rory's classroom door a crowd had gathered.  As I watched him climb the stairs there were tears in my eyes.  He met his new teacher, Miss Whiting, and sat down on the mat to talk to his classmates.  We then walked across for assembly in the hall where we had the opportunity to see the rest of the school and the teachers.  It was wonderful for Rory to be part of it again.  Whaea Danielle even said Rory could earn house points for Kakariki with each radiotherapy session!  Principal Mr Russek came over and shook Rory's hand and offered us some support.  Rory managed to walk in and out of school on his own, and walked up to Starship from Ronald McDonald House.  We are still utilising the wheelchair for longer distances.  He is also using the eye patch less, and the squint appears to be easing.  It was back into it at the Hospital when we returned.  Rory had a physio session with Rachel at 2pm.  He completed an obstacle course, and rode the go kart.  It was then onto radio therapy (no. 2) while I read another three chapters of Geronimo Stilton.  We then headed back up to the Ward (26a) and Steph took out the last of Rory's stitches.  The nurses and Dr Jason were all smiles and compliments.  He was quite chuffed.