Rory Gardiner's Webpage

29, Jul, 2009

Wednesday 29th July 2009

I had forgotten what the hospital is like, you either sit around for hours patiently trying to fill in the time, or you are madly rushing from one activity to the next squeezing everything in by the skin of your teeth.  I think Rory and I have walked 100 miles today and we haven't left the hospital grounds.


Rory underwent a battery of tests today which will form a base line on which they will measure the impact of the chemotherapy drugs.  A few weeks ago he had a hearing test and cardiac (heart) function, today he had kidney function (they inject him with a little bit of radioactive material and measure how quickly it is passed out of his blood), lung function (he had to blow into a pipe with a peg on his nose in a little glass tardis (or telephone booth for those of you too young to remember Dr Who)), and an MRI scan of his brain.  In between these appointments (the kidney function required four visits) Rory did his 6 minute walking test with Rachel the physio, caught up with Nurse Steph for a beads of courage record sheet and to discuss his appointment with Mr Law the neurosurgeon, had two clinic visits with Dr Stephen the chemo oncologist who is now looking after Rory, and popped in to say hello to Mat, Jo and Mia who are back on Ward 26A after Mia's 11th surgery. 


With full stomachs after a family dinner in the house we are all worn out.  Sean drove down this morning after putting Sam on the bus to school, and just made it in time to see Dr Stephen.  Rory has taken it all patiently.  I watched his bravado crack this morning as they put the IV line back in his arm.  His veins haven't recovered from all the lines in March and April (it takes 6 months) so to find a working one was a challenge.  The first line went in the under side of his left wrist and it didn't last the day.  They could inject fluids into it but couldn't get blood out of it, so a second line was put in his right hand.  Putting the line in hurts enough, but then they have to move the needle to line it up with the vein. It stings and leaves a big bruise.  I'll be glad when the semi-permanent line is in his chest tomorrow so they can do away with the peripheral lines.